- ContactWe’re Waiting
- Log In
ABSOLUTELY DON’T MISS!!
Annual Forefathers and Founders Day Luncheon
1Sunday, April 19, 2015 from 12pm- 4pmThe Swedish Colonial Society and the Delaware Swedish Colonial Society are hosting the Annual Forefathers and Founders Day Luncheon on Sunday, April 19, 2015 from 12pm- 4pm. Please RSVP by April 4, 2015.
If you are a SCS Member, please log in with the link below and register for the luncheon.
CRAIG COLLECTION ONLINE
2 We have posted for sale the first digitized item from the Craig Collection, a package of all Peter Craig’s family group sheets for the first four generations of the Mounce Rambo branch of the Peter Gunnarsson Rambo family. We plan to add more such packages of family group sheets as well as other materials. It is our hope that these resources will facilitate the process by which members of The Swedish Colonial Society apply for forefather status as descendants of Swedish colonists who arrived in the thirteen colonies before the end of the Revolutionary War in 1783.
Link to the online Craig Collection
Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig (1928-2009) was The Swedish Colonial Society’s world-renowned historian and genealogist who specialized in 17th century Swedish and Finnish immigrants to the Delaware River Valley. He researched the colonial experience of the settlers and their descendants into the late 18th century. He wrote over 100 articles and books on these settlers. As genealogist for the Society, he reviewed over 500 applications of members proving descent from a Swedish colonist who arrived in the thirteen colonies before the end of the Revolutionary War in 1783. His work papers and correspondence form the bulk of the Craig Collection.
Colonial Day at Old Swedes
3Saturday, May 2, 2015 from 10am- 6pm
Enjoy a History Mash-up for the whole family!
Featuring non-stop fun, food, music and activities as we celebrate New Sweden and American History
PLANNED ACTIVITIES: Opening parade for everyone with bag pipes and fife & drums, Pony rides, Games and contests, Children’s craft projects, Dueling demonstration, 18th Century Military Drill, 17th Century Dance Demonstration, AND MUCH MORE!
Photo ops with: New Sweden King and Queen (CONFIRMED!), New Sweden Colonial Governor (CONFIRMED!), Ben Franklin (invited!), Thomas Jefferson (invited!), Betsy Ross (invited!)
Where: Gloria Dei (Old Swedes’) Church grounds
Columbus Blvd and Christian Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP!
- As a member of the Swedish Colonial Society:
- You can learn about the early Swedes who landed in Wilmington, DE beginning in 1638
- You can help preserve the legacy of the Colonial Swedes in America
- You can help increase awareness and preservation of monuments at historic sites
- You can help commemorate historic and cultural events and accomplishments relating to the Swedes and Finns in America
- You can attend annual events such as the Annual Forefather Luncheon and meeting, Fall History Conference and Julmiddag Christmas Event
- You will receive biannual copies of the Swedish Colonial Journal
- You will meet others who share your interest in the early Swedes and Finns and Swedish/Finish culture
- You can gain access to various collections including the Peter S. Craig Collection and the Ronald S. Beatty Collection
- Membership is available for everyone interested in the history of the New Sweden Colony and the early Swedes and Finns of America and learn more about your forefather ancestor and share your interest with others
- There are various types of membership such as active members, forefather members, and institutional membership-see Join Today at the top of the SCS website for details