- ContactWe’re Waiting
- Log In
ABSOLUTELY DON’T MISS!!
ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP!
- As a member of the Swedish Colonial Society:
- You can learn about the early Swedes who landed in Wilmington, DE beginning in 1638
- You can help preserve the legacy of the Colonial Swedes in America
- You can help increase awareness and preservation of monuments at historic sites
- You can help commemorate historic and cultural events and accomplishments relating to the Swedes and Finns in America
- You can attend annual events such as the Annual Forefather Luncheon and meeting, Fall History Conference and Julmiddag Christmas Event
- You will receive biannual copies of the Swedish Colonial Journal
- You will meet others who share your interest in the early Swedes and Finns and Swedish/Finish culture
- You can gain access to various collections including the Peter S. Craig Collection and the Ronald S. Beatty Collection
- Membership is available for everyone interested in the history of the New Sweden Colony and the early Swedes and Finns of America and learn more about your forefather ancestor and share your interest with others
- There are various types of membership such as active members, forefather members, and institutional membership-see Join Today at the top of the SCS website for details
SAVE THE DATE2015 SCS Julmiddag
2Saturday, December 19, 2015 from 12 noon- 4pm
The Swedish Colonial Society Requests the Pleasure of your Company for Julmiddag, Commemorating the 376th Anniversary of the Swedes and Finns’ First Christmas in America
Location: Corinthian Yacht Club Essington PA.
Reception 12 Noon with Luncheon at 1PM
Corinthian Buffet, Cash Bar
The Corinthian Yacht Club with its river views on the Delaware River, was founded in 1893 on Tinicum Island, PA.
NEW SWEDEN ON THE DELAWARE
3Celebrating the 375th Anniversary of the founding of the New Sweden Colony in America, this limited-edition, 128 page volume features nearly 50 locations in 245 full-color photographs.
$25.00* plus shipping*All proceeds go to the educational funds that allow this program to run. PAYPAL*SWEDISHCOLO will appear on your bank statement
The Peter S. Craig Collection
4CRAIG COLLECTION ONLINE: We have posted for sale the first digitized item from the Craig Collection, a package of all Peter Craig’s family group sheets for the first four generations of the Mounce Rambo branch of the Peter Gunnarsson Rambo family. We plan to add more such packages of family group sheets as well as other materials. It is our hope that these resources will facilitate the process by which members of The Swedish Colonial Society apply for forefather status as descendants of Swedish colonists who arrived in the thirteen colonies before the end of the Revolutionary War in 1783.
Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig (1928-2009) was The Swedish Colonial Society’s world-renowned historian and genealogist who specialized in 17th century Swedish and Finnish immigrants to the Delaware River Valley. He researched the colonial experience of the settlers and their descendants into the late 18th century. He wrote over 100 articles and books on these settlers. As genealogist for the Society, he reviewed over 500 applications of members proving descent from a Swedish colonist who arrived in the thirteen colonies before the end of the Revolutionary War in 1783. His work papers and correspondence form the bulk of the Craig Collection.
Link to the online Craig Collection
Please consider making a contribution to our educational programs.