The Swedish Colonial Society Welcomes New Members. No Swedish relative or ancestry is required – only an interest in the colonial history of our nation. Membership is available for all parties interested in the history of the New Sweden Colony and the early Swedes and Finns in America. Swedish heritage is not a requirement. The four classes of Active Membership and application fees are: Individuals ($45.00) Family (Parents and children under 18 -$52.50) Organization (Business or Institution Name $52.50) Lifetime ($600.00). We do not have automatic recurring payments, set up at this time.
- Individual Membership is defined as person over 18 years of age. Privileges include: Eligible to establish forefather or supplemental forefather status and Archive Educational Research Packages limited to one email address per membership.
- Family Membership is defined as: Head of household, spouse and, children under 18 – Privileges include eligibility to establish forefather status and supplemental forefather membership application eligibility themselves and/or children, Archive Educational Research Packages limited to one email address per family. When a child turns 18, the family membership status will apply till the end of that subscription period. Children 18 and above should apply for Individual Membership or as applicable.
- Organization is defined as: a Business or Institution. Archive Educational Research Packages limited to one email address per Organization, upon special application .
- Lifetime membership applies to one individual. Archive Educational Research Packages limited to one email address per Lifetime Membership. If your email address changes, please notify email@example.com with your new email address.
If you are interested in applying for Forefather Membership, you must first be a member. Forefather Members are Active Members who can prove descent from Swedish or Finnish colonists in the United States prior to the Treaty of Paris, marking the close of the Revolutionary War, in 1783.
As of March 1, 2011 the one time application fee for Forefather membership is $60. Supplemental memberships may be granted to the applicant’s siblings, children and/or grandchildren for $30.00 each, in addition to the Active Member fee as above.
How to Join the Swedish Colonial Society:
- Please fill out the membership application and submit it by mail. By submitting the application, you agree to pay the required dues for the current year.
- When you submit the application, you may choose to mail a check with your application or pay your dues via Paypal or credit card.
- To pay online, please choose the specific membership by clicking on the Membership you wish to purchase and then the PayPal button. You do not need a PayPal account to pay this fee with a credit card.
- Please mail the application (and payment) to: The Swedish Colonial Society, The Lazaretto, 97 Wanamaker Avenue, Essington PA 19029.
- You may also request information from the Registrar: Registrar@colonialswedes.net
- The official registration and financial information of The Swedish Colonial Society may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling toll free, within Pennsylvania, 1 (800) 732-0999.
- Registration does not imply endorsement.
- Please do not use your back button or you may be charged twice.
- Members are voted in to SCS on the third Thursday of each month. The certificate is mailed out that week. The Username and Password is usually received within 45 days.
Download an editable Word document to send in your Membership Application: click here
You may choose to pay for your membership before filling out the form. If you do, please be sure your application has the same name on it.